Sunday, August 7, 2016

Spool clamps , Wooden Cam Clamps & Solera

Before thicknessing the top I spent some time creating tools. They are rough and ready but it helped me focus on practicing my woodworking. Spool & wooden luthier clamps bought from a luthier supplier are super expensive; I saved some money by buying inexpensive threaded rod, recycled some painting stretcher bars I had lying around, and some wing nuts. I used these you tube links as a guide:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov1mc_DcP8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyKiY-OK7WM

Solera cut out from 18mm mdf

Preparing six mm drill holes for spool clamps & rib supporting blocks
An inexpensive pastry roller cut into 15mm lengths.


Since I don't have router I was wondering how to get a perfect right angle slot for the cam clamps. I recycled some old painting stretcher bars for the job. I planed the sides to square it up.

I glued together a wooden protectors to use in my steel vice. Thought I'd try out the Cam Clamps there grip isn't all that strong compared to steel clamps but seemed to do the job. I guess that maybe that's why luthier prefer to use these as they don't stress the guitar as much as steel clamps. I will keep experimenting. I left them overnight to dry and the glue join was solid.




No comments:

Post a Comment